Saturday, April 18, 2009

Why Feminism Is Not Dead

Yesterday was the Day of Silence, of course. Thousands of young LGBT people and their allies kept their mouths shut in an attempt to echo the silence our LGBT brothers and sisters face in the name of oppression. I am one to believe that winter is a time for gathering information and developing theory on issues, and spring, summer, and fall are times to manifest it into action (though these are not necessarily mutually exclusive). In this light, I'm considering this year's Day of Silence to be my kick-off for summer grassroots action.

I also believe that queer activism is an essential part of feminist activism (as well as racial justice activism and classism awareness and action). This simply boils down to this: there are upper-class Black bisexual women, there are middle-class Native American straight women, there are working-class Asian queer women, there are impoverished Caucasian transwomen. Women can be any combination of anything. Hence, if you are in the business of women's right activism, you must also be in the business of activism towards the other oppressions women face.

(Considering that a transition), it was yesterday, in my silence, that I remembered feminism. I remembered, as these warm months roll around, that there needs to be ACTION behind the THEORY I've been reading and talking about. I had lunch with a dear friend of mine after our shared class was over. Being that I was not able to speak, I was able to hear plenty of what was going on in her life, and was glad for it. We eventually came into the caf and were joined at our table by a small group of other women. Eventually, my friend came to talking about her plans to study abroad next semester. She proceeded to tell us that she had told her parents of her plans to travel overseas next Fall, and they proceeded to tell her that with this decision they would be disowning her. They have plans to come and take her car this very evening.

I am a big fan of the phrase "I will be a post-feminist in the post-patriarchy", and this is a brilliant example of that. My friend said that her parents would much rather she live on their farm, marry a nice (White) boy, not work, and raise some babies. Of course, I do not know my friend's family, and hence I'm not sure if she was exaggerating or if this is truly the case.

Exhibit A of why feminism isn't dead...
Feminism in its original form (in 18th century France with the term "feminisme", which was a word used to describe women who were cool, hip, savvy, and financially independent) was based around three main beliefs:
gender is not only biologically but also culturally defined, the oppression of males toward females should be resisted, and that WOMEN are IN CHARGE of their OWN DESTINIES. This third belief is blatantly disregarded in my friend's scenario.

Exhibit B of why feminism isn't dead...
In my silence, I was not able to console her. I was not able to tell her everything that I've written here, and I was not able to provide her with a female voice and a female spirit that can provide a warmth and a bond like none other. SHE was faced with the same silence in the name of patriarchy that I was representing in the name of heterosexism and homophobia.

I will be a post-feminist in the post-patriarchy. When instances like this one are no longer happening, and when young girls are able to maintain their individuality and their creative spirit from their childhood all the way through their womanhood, I will not longer have to call myself a feminist.

No comments:

Post a Comment